Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Face Time

I've gotten to see Sveta twice in the last 4 days. Saturday we had a huge pre-Easter dinner at our house. It was Sveta's first visit to Goppa's and Grandma's house. Then last night we went out to eat at one of our favorite restaurants with the Mortons. Both times I had the chance to spend quality time with Sveta. She spent time on my lap and time talking to me. There was something special about her gazing into my eyes when she was mere inches from my face. You could just feel the connection happening. There are no words to describe the feeling I get when she and I have "Face Time". There were even times when we were interacting that she suddenly lunged forward, wrapped her arms around my neck and hugged me tight. That was the best part of all! Am I smitten? Yes. Does my heart melt? Definitely! Does she have me wrapped around her little finger? There's no denying it. Can she look at me with those dark little eyes and get anything she wants? Within reason... you bet! I am powerless against it. That's okay. I think this is what being a grandparent is supposed to be like.

Before she even got to the United States I knew I loved her. However, I had no idea the depth of that love until the last few days. She is an incredible, sweet, affectionate, amazingly smart little girl. I'm not saying that because she's my granddaughter. I'm saying it because it's true. Her intelligence, even at the age of four astounds me. I was certainly not prepared for that. I am so looking forward to this summer when Sveta can swim in Goppa's and Grandma's pool. I get the sneaking suspicion I'll be spending a lot more time in the water this year :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment