Saturday, March 28, 2015

It's a major award!

Who can forget the leg lamp in the movie, "A Christmas Story"? The crate arrives and the old man is giddy with anticipation as he unpacks the contents. After much scrutiny and puzzling it is finally revealed that the crate contains a fishnet stocking leg lamp. The mother stares in horror at the smut in her living room. Ralphie is mesmerized by the titillating display. The old man proclaims, "It's a MAJOR AWARD!", and proudly displays it in the front window for the whole world to see. Hilarious and classic. Just classic.

Why all this talk about a major award? Well...

My boss recently informed me that I have been selected as my school district’s outstanding educator of the year. On Friday, May 15th, I will join other educators from around Hamilton County at an awards breakfast where we will receive the Hamilton County Educational Excellence Award. Anthony Munoz will be the Master of Ceremonies and presenter of the awards.

Here’s the link to the event:
http://www.hcef.us/celebrate-excellence/

I’m not really sure what to think of this sudden and unexpected award. I feel completely unworthy to receive it. I know my own shortcomings and I work with teachers who are far more deserving than me. Regardless, I will humbly accept the award and the half-day off work that comes with it (I don't have to go back to work after the breakfast concludes). I will say that it's an honor to be recognized.

Honestly, I do not hold any pretense that I did anything to earn this award. The Lord has blessed me with 25 years in public education and with colleagues that are more like family than co-workers. To God alone be the glory.

Soli Deo Gloria!

I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. John 15:5

Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness. James 3:1


No comments:

Post a Comment