Wednesday, November 14, 2012

I miss you, Andy!

A few months ago, Andy Williams passed away. I miss him already. Naw, not because I'm a big fan. It's because he sang one of my favorite, non traditional Christmas songs (I like the old carols best). For many years Andy crooned, "It's the most wonderful time of the year". For me, this really is the most wonderful time of the year... sort of.

In a about a week, we'll celebrate one of the best holidays... Thanksgiving! What's not to like about a day of eating a turkey dinner with all the trimmings and luscious desserts until your eyes roll back in your head in a turkey stupor? Or sitting with the family and debating how to fix the problems of the world? What's not to like about the Thanksgiving Day parade followed by endless hours of football? And what's not to like about taking the time to thank God for the myriad blessings we enjoy in our lives each and every day? Of course there's the wonderfulness of getting to visit with the Morton side of the family, especially that sweet little Sveta! There's nothing negative about Thanksgiving (assuming you don't go shopping on Black Friday... I'm sorry, but there's nothing enjoyable about knocking over old ladies to get a good deal on an iPod. You won't see me camped out in front of Wal-Mart... ever!). In short, Thanksgiving is a wonderful holiday and I look forward to it every year.

In 6 short weeks we will celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll spare you the sermon, but please, let's be mindful of the one and only gift that's important at Christmas. A helpless babe, born in a manger, sent to the world to save the souls of men.

I love everything about Christmas (except that it's celebrated in the dead of winter). The celebration of Jesus' birth, looking at all the pretty lights, the family gatherings, the seemingly endless stream of christmas treats and snacks. I especially look forward to UDF egg nog every year. it's gotta be UDF (Rum is optional... I prefer mine without). I love the decorations, the music and the traditions of my immediate family (more on those in later posts). I love the extended time off from work and of course will be especially looking forward to my first Christmas as a grandpa. Do you think Sveta will be getting about a thousand gifts from her grandparents on her first Christmas as member of the Morton/Meyer family? I would say that's a very safe bet :-)

There is so much good to come! It really is the most wonderful time of the year. Only one thing would make it better... if this all happened when the weather is 82 degrees and sunny.

No comments:

Post a Comment