Saturday, February 4, 2017

The big 5-0

I don't normally advertise this because I don't like being the center of attention. In fact, I don't like receiving ANY attention. However, today is different and I'm making an exception. I woke this morning a 50 year old man. That's right, folks, it's my birthday. I've hit the big five-oh! Half a century of living. Fifty years... it blows my mind. Physically I don't feel old. I am in good health and feel good most of the time. I do have the normal aches and pains a fifty year old has, but by and large I feel great. Emotionally it doesn't bother me to turn 50. I know some people freak out when they hit a milestone age, but not me. it's just a number. A really BIG number.

I am thankful today for the many people who got me here today. My parents (especially my mom), my siblings, my grandparents, my many friends, and all the people who either believed in me, or helped me somehow along the way. I am grateful for all the peaks and valleys that have brought me to this point in my life.

I guess the only thing that strikes me about being 50 is how quickly time flies. It was just yesterday that I was playing baseball with my friends at Franklin Park. It was just yesterday I was catching walleye on Lake Erie. It was just yesterday I was a awkwardly asking girls to dance at high school dances. Yet here I am today in the blink of an eye a 50 year old guy. Married for 25+ years to a wonderful wife and my best friend, three adult children, and three grandchildren. Yet here I am today approaching the twilight of my career knowing the days of planning my retirement will be here before I know it. Time is a funny thing and although it happens so slowly you scarcely notice... things change. But I will tell you there is one constant. The Lord has blessed me my entire life. He has blessed me in many ways that are evident (wife, children, grandchildren, extended family), and in countless ways that are not evident. I have been blessed by a God that sent His only son to die for my sins on a cross, and to save me from them. He said "I will never leave you nor forsake you" Hebrews 13:5. I take assurance in those words.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get busy living the next 50 years of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment