Thursday, May 10, 2012

Pomp and Circumstance

In just over three weeks, my son, Michael will graduate from High School. This is unbelievable for several different reasons. First the sheer idea that time flies. I remember the night he was born and here he is graduating. He's getting ready to start college and spread his wings and fly out of our nest. Second because we (his parents) had serious concerns about his education when he was in elementary school (well, mostly his mother). Michael has always been very smart and full of ability. But at the same time he was never interested in school or anything that went along with it. I remember evenings helping him with his homework and studying with him. He would roll around on the couch and hang upside down over the edge. Picture a boy 8 or 9 years old overflowing with energy, not wanting to sit still for anything--- especially homework. Tami worried herself sick over this and often questioned if he'd ever make it through school. On the other hand, I (being a teacher) had seen hundreds of boys just like this. They grew up, matured, did fine in school and graduated. Tami doubted me at the time, but has since said I was right. Michael did indeed grow up, mature into a fine young man and will graduate very soon. However, Michael still has a very low tolerance for baloney and puts very little effort into a class or subject that he views as a waste of his time. Right or wrong, that's how he's always been. I am curious to see how this approach serves him in college. Only time will tell. Michael has really blossomed the last year or so. He holds down a very good part-time job. He's never home and has a very active social life. I'm really hoping he grows even more in college. I'm hoping he puts effort into every class (not just those he views as important or those where he likes the professor). Life is a series of stages and Michael is about to exit his high school stage and enter the college stage. May the Lord bless you, my son. I have done my best with you. Now go out there and make me proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment