Monday, June 22, 2015

An Unwelcome Guest

I was out in the yard today and made an alarming discovery.

Here's a photo. Do you recognize this critter?






































No? How about now?


Yup! You guessed it... it's a black widow spider. It's the first one I've ever seen in person. And I am not at all happy to see one in my own yard.

Female black widow spiders are not as dangerous as you might think (unless you happen to be a MALE black widow spider, if you know what I mean). Black widows are not aggressive and only bite if threatened (if you accidentally sit on one for example). Their venom can cause muscle aches and spasms, nausea and breathing difficulties. However, fatalities are extremely rare. I still don't want them crawling around my yard or worse, coming into my house.

Ugh! Scary!

No comments:

Post a Comment