Friday, June 19, 2015

The Plateau Effect

Exactly two weeks ago, I reported a weight loss of 16 pounds on my diet. I was really pleased with my progress for only a month or so of watching what I ate. Since that time I have lost only three pounds. You may think I eased up on the diet or cheated with my food intake. This isn't true at all. In fact, not only have I eaten very little and not snacked at all, I have even increased my physical activity (lots of walking and TINY bit of running) as well. What has happened is what I call the plateau effect. Initially I lost all my water weight very quickly, but have since leveled off on a plateau. This has happened to me many times before and the only solution is to stay the course and to be patient. I have always said a diet is a marathon, not a sprint. The slower the weight comes off, the more likely I am to keep the weight off. I must confess I am growing impatient as I struggle to reach the 20 pound mark, but I know I will break that barrier soon enough. And once the barrier is broken, it seems like the weight loss really gets on a roll after that. Until then I will continue to eat nothing but healthy foods and keep on walking (and maybe even running). I hope to be a new man this year and I never want to put the weight back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment