Friday, September 9, 2016

15 years already!

On Sunday, our nation commemorates 9/11. Fifteen years since the worst terrorist attack on American soil since Pearl Harbor. This event changed the world forever and has shaped our nation over the last 15 years. Some for the better, some not. Today I stand in my classroom and teach 8 and 9 year old children. The events of 9/11 happened long before they were born and these children have no historical reference for these horrific acts. 2001 may as well be a thousand years ago. To a fourth grader, 15 years probably seems like a thousand.

Today my school is doing its part to never forget the events of that terrible day. At a time when patriotism is arguably at an all-time low, I am proud to say my school is doing something to turn that trend around. The students of St. Bernard Elementary are weaving a crepe paper flag into the school yard fence. I am posting photos of the progress so far, and I will do my best to get a photo of the finished product. Stay tuned and God Bless America!

No comments:

Post a Comment