Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Amen!

I don't do a lot of complaining about my job. I am blessed to have a job that has provided for my family the last 27 years. Most of the time if I have something negative to say about the teaching profession, it's in response to someone asking me about education. For some reason people love to pick the brain of teachers regarding the state of the schools in America today. I guess it's because people hear so much about schools and they are looking for an inside scoop into what is really going on.

Anyway, one area where I don't complain is in the area of teachers' salaries. Do I think teachers deserve higher salaries (and in many cases combat pay)? Yes, I do. However, I also know I am fortunate to have all holidays and weekends off. I also enjoy a hefty summer vacation (although it is far from the 3 months people commonly believe we have). I must admit I am amused when students are dismissed for summer break the number of parents who openly state they are dreading having their kids home with them all summer. I jokingly pass this off by saying to the parent, "Tag! You're it!". Funny how some parents do not relish the idea of spending extended time with their own children, yet I spend a large portion of my time with more than twenty at once.

Being a teacher is a noble calling and I am proud to have served the students of St. Bernard Elementary for 27 years. The profession is not without its challenges, but all in all it's a good career.

No comments:

Post a Comment