Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Abby's Sweet Ride!

Abby has been working (part-time) since she was 14 years old. In that time she has saved a significant chunk of money. She never wasted her money because she always had the dream of saving up to buy a car. Last week that dream came true for her. Abby is now the proud new owner of a black 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer. At first I only went to kick the tires. I never really had the intention of actually buying the car. As it turns out, the deal was too good to pass up. $3000 and only 59,000 miles. Finding a used car with such low mileage is practically unheard of. Given this information, I was leaning toward buying the car. However, there was one big obstacle... this car has a 5 speed manual transmission. That's right folks, a good 'ol stick shift. I expressed my concerns about a stick -vs- an automatic, but Abby was insistent that she could learn to drive a stick. Realizing deals like this don't come along every day, I gave my consent and Abby bought the car.

Full disclosure here... I'm embarrassed to admit that I never learned to drive a stick. I'm ashamed to tell you I could not even test drive the car for my daughter. My eldest daughter is proficient at driving a stick and was nice enough to come down and test drive it for me.

In the 8 days since getting the car, Abby has been given three lessons in driving a 5 speed. Her teachers (daughter and son-in-law) say she has picked it up amazingly fast. Being highly motivated to drive her OWN car, and not her parents' cars must have urged her into being a quick study. In fact, she has done so well that she now drives the car on short jaunts (to work or the gas station etc...). She's not quite ready for longer trips, but with more practice, it won't be long before she'll be driving the thing all over God's creation

This is a really nice starter car. Much nicer than my first car... A Pinto wagon with woodgrain panels on the side (ick!). It has a beautiful interior, a really good Kenwood stereo (not factory of course), and it's just an all around sweet ride for Abby. I'm really happy for her.

I will post photos at another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment