Monday, August 25, 2014

You don't know what you got

You don't know what you got... 'til it's gone. Specifically I'm talking about electricity. We experienced a 5 hour power outage last night and it prevented me from posting to the blog. I'm not sure how many people read this page daily, but if you missed me yesterday, I had a really good reason for not posting. No power=No internet=No Blog.

During a power outage (especially when it's dark outside), you get a lot of time to think. My first thoughts were about how I wouldn't have lights, computer, television and especially air conditioning. I didn't think about that stuff very long before my thoughts turned to how spoiled we are as a nation. In most cases we have the ultimate in comfort when it comes to all those things I mentioned. I also thought about people in other countries (or our military personnel serving in places where the conditions are brutal). Millions of people around the world don't enjoy the blessing of comfort as I do. Who am I to complain about a short power outage? Surely I can survive one night without air conditioning and the other luxuries than run on electricity that I take for granted every day.

Sometimes the Lord knows I need to be jolted back into reality and turns the power off for a while to remind me of how blessed I am. Let's face it... I sometimes forget those blessings when the power is on and I have every luxury that I want. It's not until you are sitting in the dark with nothing to do but think that you fully grasp what you have. I may not always think it or say so, but I am truly grateful for the Lord's provision of my every need.

Soli' Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment