Wednesday, May 3, 2017

The right to WHAT????????

I was teaching my 4th graders about the U.S. constitution recently. More specifically we were studying the rights and freedoms guaranteed Americans under the 1st amendment. Freedom of speech, freedom of religion, etc... I was conducting a review of the material yesterday, and I asked the students to name the 5 rights or freedoms listed under the 1st amendment. Things were going great at first. I received answers of freedom of religion, freedom of the press, right to petition, freedom of speech, and then the lesson went off the rails when one little girl said the 5th freedom was the right to prostitute. I was able to maintain my composure because I knew what she meant. She was trying to tell me we have the right to "protest" peacefully. There's a big difference between protest and prostitute though. Sometimes in teaching these funny moments happen. Just today I committed a bit of a faux pas. We were once again reviewing the 1st amendment and I was writing the students' responses on the board. However, to save time, I was abbreviating words. The list looked something like this... Freedom of rel. Fr. of press, right to pet., freedom of sp. and then in my teacherly wisdom, I wrote this... right to ass. (that would be the abbreviated version of right to assemble peacefully).

So, as you can see, the lessons on the constitution and our first amendment rights didn't go exactly as planned. Oh well. You win some and you lose some :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment