Saturday, July 28, 2018

One week to go!

The wedding is one week away and I can’t help but feel emotional, melancholy, and reminiscent. Over the last six months Tami and I have been mentally preparing (as much as possible) for our last child to leave the house. We feel like the Lord has been preparing us as Abby has slowly transitioned from needing us for everything to needing her future husband for everything. Over the last year she has not been home a lot which is another way of weaning her off this home and moving into her new home. It’s a gradual process, but it’s definitely still hard knowing in a week’s time she won’t live in my house any more.

A couple of things have brought this reality to mind. For example, last night Abby spent the night with a friend. Knowing she would not be arriving home in the wee hours of the morning, I locked the door and did not turn on the outside lights. In the past I’ve left the door unlocked, and flipped on the outside lights for Abby’s late night arrivals home. It felt strange. Also, in the past, Abby always awakened us upon her arrival home. It didn’t matter what time of night it was, Abby would always text to let us know she was on her way home, and would announce at our bedroom door, “Mom (or Dad), I’m home”. In a week’s time there will be no more late night announcements of her arrival home.

I have heard a lot of different opinions on the Empty Nest Syndrome, and I will be posting much more about it in the near future. One thing I’ve heard is that it is a two-edged sword. On one hand it is nice to have time with just your spouse without the children around. On the other hand, it is tremendously sad to think that we will no longer have kids living in our house. Not ever again… On one hand we will have more money than ever before. On the other hand, having a little extra money is not much consolation for not having our kids around. On one hand we won’t stay up nights hoping and praying our kids will come home safely. On the other hand, they are out of sight and essentially out of mind. But let’s be honest… will we as parents ever truly quit worrying? We all know the answer to that question is a resounding, “No!”. The Empty Nest is going to be a mixed bag of emotions. I’d like to think I’m ready for whatever life is going to throw at me, but I seriously doubt I’m ready for everything.

Tami and I have been married for 27 years and have never been without a child in the home. Unlike many marriages where couples have time alone before having children, my marriage was different. The day I said, “I do”, I not only became a husband, but I also became a father. I think this makes our Empty Nest situation different than many others.

Stay tuned, folks. It’s going to be a wild ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment