Thursday, July 26, 2018

The Reds on Radio

I recently came across a piece written by local sports talk host, Lance McAlister. Many of his thoughts are the same as mine. Like him, there are few things I find more relaxing than listening to the Reds on the radio. Like him, I plan my yard mowing around the Reds schedule. Like him, I grew up listening to the Reds on the radio. I would add that I have fond memories of my grandparents sitting on their porch drinking a cold beer, eating a dish of peanuts, and listening to the Reds. I also remember how good that beer tasted when I was allowed to take a forbidden sip. I already know part of my retirement plan will include a steady dose of sitting on my deck, enjoying a beverage and listening to the Reds.

Here's what Lance wrote one day last week:

What is it about baseball on the radio? Why does baseball on the radio connect with us more than any other sport? I heard Bob Costas discuss the connection on a St. Louis radio show a couple of years ago. His comments have stuck with me. He described baseball on the radio as being part of the soundtrack of our life. He's so right.
I grew up listening to the Reds on the radio. That’s almost 50 years of a connection. I've often joked the only people I've listened to longer than Marty Brennaman would be my mom and dad. As a kid, I would fall asleep many nights in the 1970's while listening to the Reds on a transistor radio.
After dinner with my family this past Sunday, I grabbed my radio and sat on my back porch. I put my feet up. Closed my eyes. And I listened to the Reds. It was peaceful. It was easy, without complications. It was an escape. Baseball on the radio is like a comfort food. There is something about the pace and sounds of baseball on the radio that is soothing.
We develop relationships with Reds broadcasters. We grow to feel like we know the people behind the voices coming through our radio. They become are friends...even family. Heck, we welcome them into our home or car on a game-to-game basis.
But it's not just the call of the games, it's the banter, the conversations. We enjoyed Marty and Joe's stories and the back and forth during a broadcast. We enjoy listening to the struggles of The Cowboy to answer the trivia question correctly. I remember many Reds moments by the words in Marty's description. Like, "Rose levels the bat a couple of times, Show kicks and delivers......." Man, do I miss The Old Left-hander yelling, "get out of here!"?
I often post Reds radio broadcasts from years ago here on the blog. I always enjoy the reaction from listeners. The sounds of Reds baseball on the radio flashes people back to the past. Heck, I sit in my office at home and work on my show and listen to random games from the 1970's and 80's.
I know I'm not the only one that mows the yard only when the Reds are on the radio. If the Reds are off, I'm not mowing. I drive Kelly crazy because when I'm in the house listening to the game, I turn on the radio in multiple rooms as I move from room to room around the house.
My family grilled out last week. I had my radio on the back patio, cranked up, so I could listen and grill. I enjoy tuning into a game and in a few seconds knowing how the Reds are doing simply based on the tone of Marty's voice. I get a kick out of hearing him get worked up and impatient with a pitcher struggling to throw strikes.
I have never felt this way or made this connection with football or basketball on the radio. I never will. It's just not the same. That's a combination of my love of baseball, the pace of the game and growing up listening to Marty and Joe.
Someday Marty will retire. I will be sad. It won't be the same. But you can bet I'll still listen to the Reds on the radio. Whether they are winning or losing, good, bad or rebuilding, it's what I do. It's what I'll always do.

No comments:

Post a Comment