Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Mr. Murphy and his law

I thought my previous post was going to be the last one before vacation, but Murphy's Law prompted this post. I don't believe in omens, but...

Wednesday afternoon I was taking suitcases into the garage to load into the car. I pulled the trunk release and nothing happened. Hmmm... very strange. It occurred to me the release must be electronic. I also noticed the car did not beep when I opened the door. I was beginning to get a sinking feeling about a dead battery. To confirm my suspicions, I attempted to start the car. I turned the key... nothing happened. Nothing so much as a click. UH-OH! The last thing you want is car trouble 12 hours before you leave for a long road trip. For reasons that are both complicated and not important to you (the reader), I was unable to attempt a jump start. And no, the reason was not that I don't have jumper cables. I do.

Thankfully Auto Zone was open on the 4th of July. $117 and a new battery later, the car is now running again. I hope an old, weak battery that finally bit the dust was the culprit. I pray it's not the alternator. If it is a bad alternator, it won't recharge any battery... old, new or anywhere in between.

I was fairly worked up through the whole mess. Anybody who knows me, is quite aware that I don't like complications. Tami was able to ease my nerves by telling me that these things happen for a reason and that God is in control... and she was right. Thankfully this happened at home where I had access to another car and tools to install a new battery. If this had happened on the road, it would have been much, much worse! I have a friend at church who says, "There's no such thing as a stray bullet". Meaning, God is control of everything (including my dead battery).

Time will tell if the new battery was the REAL problem. I pray this was the needed fix and our trip to Florida doesn't have any more surprises for me.

Hopefully this will be my last post before vacation. If you see another post after this one, you can consider it very bad news.

Let's try this one more time... Bon Voyage'!


No comments:

Post a Comment