Friday, June 3, 2016

Don't Shoot!

There has been non-stop news coverage of the gorilla, Harambe, that was shot and killed at the Cincinnati Zoo after a little boy fell into the Gorilla World enclosure. There have also been a million different opinions about who is at fault. Honestly, this post is not about who is or is not at fault. Trust me. There is plenty of blame to go around and this blogger will not offer an opinion on whether the gorilla should have been shot or not. If you know me, you probably know which side of the debate I come down on anyway. Look folks, I don't like that a gorilla died, but I also wouldn't want to see a toddler killed by a gorilla. One of those living beings was going to die in that cage. The zoo chose the gorilla. The gorilla probably wouldn't have killed the little boy with a malicious intent or attack. The boy would have died as a result of rough treatment by a gorilla that didn't know a boy cannot be dragged around like a baby gorilla.

As is my normal approach to any uncomfortable situation, I like to inject humor into it. It's probably a little bit of immaturity on my part, but I think it's mostly my way of avoiding conflict (which I will go to great lengths to do). I don't want to argue about a gorilla's life versus a human life, so instead I offer the following:

I couldn't help putting a caption with the photo below...

Don't shoot! We're bears... not gorillas!

No comments:

Post a Comment