Thursday, June 16, 2016

Takes me back!

I didn't realize as a young man that growing old would be such a bizarre experience. As I prepare to turn 50 years old next year, I find myself reminiscing more and more about the past and finding enjoyment in nostalgia. I see something that brings back a memory or hear a song that brings a flood of thoughts and emotions out of nowhere. I think this is why I have come to appreciate the genius of the movie, "Back to the Future". Marty McFly gets the opportunity to go back in time and see his parents in high school and to see what his hometown was like before he was born. How cool would that be? Aside from all the time travel and nostalgic feelings this movie evokes, I also love the subtle jokes in the movie. One of my favorites is when Marty auditions for the school talent show with his rock band. They play the song, "The Power of Love" by Huey Lewis and the News. The principal then interrupts the audition and says into a megaphone, "I'm sorry fellas. I'm afraid you're just too darn loud!" The subtle joke is the principal is played by Huey Lewis himself. The photo below brought that memory back for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment