Wednesday, July 12, 2017

I can't breathe

The word literally is quite possibly the most overused and misused word in the english language right now.

For example:

"I am literally starving to death right now!"
Ummm... no, you're not. You're really hungry right now.

"I am literally going to tell my boss to go jump in the lake!"
Well, not exactly. If you did, you wouldn't have a job much longer.

"I am literally the worst singer in the world!"
Nope. You may be tone deaf, and a truly bad singer, but you're not the worst.

"I am so tired. I am literally going to sleep for a week!"
Not even close. You may sleep longer than usual, but your bladder might have something to say about you sleeping for a whole week.

However, there are times when the word literally can be used appropriately and correctly.

For example:

"I am literally typing a blog post right now".
True.

"My lawn mower is literally out of gas".
Also true. No mowing will happen until I make a trip to the gas station.

"Yesterday it literally rained hard for more than an hour".
Yep! True as well. We had some fairly wicked storms yesterday afternoon.

And then there's this:

This is LITERALLY me right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment