Thursday, March 28, 2019

It's Opening Day, but...

Today is Opening Day for Cincinnati Reds baseball. Basically it's an unofficial holiday in the tristate area. Normally I would be pumped beyond belief. After suffering through a long, grueling winter, warmer temperatures and baseball are finally here. Sadly, I have zero enthusiasm today. Why you may ask? Mick, you love baseball, right? Yep! Mick, you love warm weather, right? Yep! (It's going to be 67 degrees and sunny today) Mick, the Reds have a new coaching staff and lots of new, exciting players, right? Yep! Then why no enthusiasm for Opening Day? Because I have parent/teacher conferences this afternoon/evening and I won't get to watch or listen to one stinking pitch of the game. Great American Ballpark will be empty and locked up by the time I leave school tonight. Compounding the problem is this is the last Opening Day for Marty Brennaman. Marty has been calling Reds games on the radio since 1974. Putting it a different way, I have never heard a Reds radio broadcast when Marty wasn't calling the game. He's an institution in Cincinnati.

Saying I am depressed and kind of bitter today would be an understatement. I know it's really not that big of a deal, and I'm whining and feeling sorry for myself today. But usually it's the small things (Like Reds Opening Day) that help me through this long, difficult stretch between my last day off (it was in February) and Spring Break (Late April). I will survive, but missing Opening Day is a tough pill to swallow.

Anyway, there are 161 other games this year, and I will listen to my share of them. It just won't be today.

Go Reds!

No comments:

Post a Comment