Friday, May 29, 2020

The day I have dreaded

Today is the last day of school and I have completed my 30th year of teaching. My summer vacation begins today. Now, you probably think I am excited beyond belief. Well, yes AND no. Yes, because I am eager to have my summer vacation. But also no, because this is a day I have been dreading for the last 6 or 7 years. Why? I'm glad you asked.

When I started my teaching career in August of 1991, retirement was the last thing on my mind. However, I knew that teachers could retire after 30 years of service. As I worked my way through the 90's until approximately 2013, I could see retirement drawing ever closer with each passing year. Then my world was turned upside down when the State Teachers Retirement System's Pension Board changed the requirements for retirement. Within the blink of an eye the new law stated that teachers must work 35 years instead of 30 to receive their full pension. Do you see where I'm going with this? I just completed my 30th year, and under the old law I would be retiring TODAY. Yes, folks, I woulda, coulda, shoulda been retiring this very day... May 29th, 2020. But worry not, my loyal blog readers. I have a good attitude about this. I know that God is sovereign, and in his perfect plan I am, by His grace, destined to work for 35 years. I am thankful that God has provided for me and my family for 30 years. It's a good job. It's very stressful, but it's a good job. I have a good attitude about this though. It's easy to get caught up in thinking about what could have been, but it doesn't do me any good. I have 5 years of teaching remaining and that's not a lot. Especially when you consider I have 30 years in my rearview mirror. Now, if you'll excuse me, my spot at the 'ol fishin' hole is calling my name. I may not be retired yet, but it IS the first day of summer vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment