Monday, October 5, 2020

September- The month in review

I’m a few days late on this, but that’s the way it goes sometimes. Last month I said I would be doing a “Month in review” at the end of each month. I will try to stay true to my word. So, without further fanfare, here goes… The month of September has been fairly uneventful. Most of my life has been dedicated to the first full month of back-to-school, in-person learning since the COVID lockdown began in March. This has kept me very busy, and it has been extra stressful because we have a new principal this year.

 The other thing that has kept me busy is my church. I am one of four deacons in our church. This means we are in charge of caring for the grounds and facilities. Recently we have been dealing with the fate of a large (and very old) farmhouse that sits on our property. We have rented the house for years, but our tenants moved out earlier this year, and we had to decide what to do with the house. It is in very poor repair, and it would have taken considerable time and money to make it livable again. After much discussion it was decided to raze the house. We are currently in the process of emptying the house and preparing it for demolition. It is scheduled to be torn down next month. Once this is done it will be a huge load off my shoulders.

 I also had to undertake the task of closing my pool for the season. It’s not terribly difficult to do, but is a bit more challenging without any help. It’s a bit time consuming, but it did get done. All of the deck furniture is stowed away for winter.

 As September ends and October begins, I watch the leaves change color, and everything begins to turn brown. There is a chill in the air and there is frost on the proverbial pumpkin. My fall depression starts to creep in as everything dies, gets colder, and the filtered sunlight doesn’t bring the brightness of spring and summer days. I haven’t been fishing in over two months. I haven’t kept up with my yard work and it is beginning to show. The busy-ness of life sadly puts yardwork on the back burner. I know this isn’t a very exciting report. There just weren’t many highlights in September. Yet another reason I’m not a big fan of fall. Not much worthy of reporting happens.

 The photo below shows sunlight hitting the trees across the road from my house. It appears the trees are half and half in leaf changing color. In reality it's just the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment