Thursday, August 31, 2017

27 years

27 years ago on August 31st, 1990, my dad succumbed to leukemia and passed away at the age of 47. That's way too young! But the Lord had reason for taking him; a reason I'll never understand. I do not question God's omniscience and sovereignty, but in my human-ness it still hurts losing him when it felt like he had so much living left to do. I was only 23 when he died and I was too naive to know that a person could actually pass away at such a young age. Now at the age of 50, I realize our time on this earth is but a blink of an eye. You're here one moment and gone the next. This is why I am so thankful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ. My soul in eternity is assured because Jesus died on the cross for my sins. He paid a debt I could never repay on my own. I do not fear death because of the assurance of the Gospel. Don't get me wrong... I don't want to leave this earth yet. I still want to live a long life. However, if the Lord has different plans, at least I know where I'm going.

I am missing my dad today. I always wonder what he would have been like as a grandfather and great grandfather. It would have been fun to see him experience the same kind of joy I get when I see MY grandchildren.

27 years is a long time. That time has healed some of the hurt of losing him, but it never fully goes away. He's been gone more than half my life now. Just thinking about that boggles my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment