Monday, February 25, 2019

30 years together

Yesterday Tami and I celebrated the 30th anniversary our first date. It was February 24th, 1989. I was a junior in college pursuing a degree in elementary education. Tami was a single mom pursuing the same degree as me. We had some classes together and prior to our first date found ourselves hanging out with a group of other education majors in an informal, makeshift study group. We were friendly in a group chat sort of way. I thought she was nice, sweet, smart, and beautiful. I didn’t think she thought of me as anything but the token male in a group full of female education majors. I had no idea she was interested in me at all. In fact, I was so oblivious to her interests that she LITERALLY had to ask me out. I wasn’t the most confident of bachelors and I never dreamed a woman of her caliber would be remotely interested in me.

Our first date amounted to me going over to her house, watching a few movies on VHS and eating some popcorn. Jessi was 4 years old at the time and had the chicken pox. Tami’s first priority (rightly so) was as a mother. She needed to care for her sick daughter and I was way more than ok with that. From day one I got to see Tami in action as this incredible mother and that was very attractive and desirable to me. Our next few dates were similar. It wasn’t for about a month that we actually “went out” on a date alone. Most of our dates were the three of us, and again, I was more than okay with this arrangement. Jessi always came first and I came second. However, I was smart enough to see the long-term value and benefit of playing second fiddle to a 4 year-old girl. It didn’t take long, although I’m not exactly sure when it happened, that I was totally and madly in love with both of them.

30 years later Tami and I have 3 kids, 2 sons-in-law, 1 daughter-in-law, and three adorable grandchildren. We have come full circle and for the first time since our first date, find ourselves truly alone… just the two of us in an empty nest.

I can’t believe it has been 30 years since that night I drove to the far-off land of Lawrenceburg, Indiana. To a St. Bernard boy that was the other side of the world. I may as well have been driving to a foreign country. At the time I had no idea that little drive and that first date would alter my life forever. We can often look back and see turning points in our lives. February 24th, 1989 is likely the most pivotal moment of my entire life.

Thank you, Honey for 30 wonderful years of being together. It has been an amazing ride! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment