Friday, September 27, 2019

The soundtrack of my summers

Yesterday was the end of an era. The 46 year run of Marty Brennaman broadcasting Reds games came to a sad end. Marty has been calling Reds games on radio my entire life. He was the soundtrack of my summer. There are few things I enjoyed more than sitting on my deck, cold beverage in hand, and listening to the Reds on radio. Marty's voice was more than just an integral part of Reds on radio... He WAS Reds on radio. Alas that has come to an end. I will still listen to my beloved Reds on the radio, but it will never, ever be the same. I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a lump in my throat when Marty called the final out of the 9th inning yesterday. I guess it's a good thing the Reds lost. If they had won, and Marty had uttered his famous tagline... "And this one belongs to the Reds!", I probably would have been in full blown tears. Goodbye, Marty. I sure am going to miss you!

Here is a list a local sports journalist compiled of things we all heard Marty say hundreds (if not thousands of times).
If you don’t buckle up, what’s holding you back?
We welcome in our good friend, and we hope yours...
John Fay, aka “the bank president,” from The Cincinnati Enquirer.
Show me what you got.
That’s a great big Duh.
It’s nothing-nothing as we move into the top half of the 7th inning. A good ol’ good one.
A thrill a minute.
Just like we like it.
There’s a drive ...
Howa-bout that?
He spanked that bad boy. He gotta alla that baby. And two runs are gonna score.
How we lookin’?
I’m noticing a crowd gathering in the booth for this, my final broadcast. Say hello to:
Pot Roast Lou.
Mr. Baseball, aka Tony La Russa.
Doc Hollywood, Tim Kremchek.
Ruggedly Handsome Ron Millennor.
Quintessential Ladies Man Jeff Horrigan.
Steve “Bad Boy” Stewart.
Ol’ Leatherpants.
Our Mentor and Spiritual Leader Dave “Yiddy” Armbruster.
And of course me, the Poofy-Haired Fancy Boy.
If I was any better, I’d be twins.
What’s up, sweet thang?
Don’t get stupid on me. You’re killin’ me.
I’m not right.
Something’s wrong with you.
I gotcha covered.
C’mon, Doc.
The throw to the plate ... is not in time!
The Reds will bat in the 8th inning for what they hope will be the final time tonight.
In tonight’s ... titanic struggle.
Ain’t love grand?
In a word, remarkable.
No question.
For the edification of our listening audience ...
The Reds have given up the lead and will make a pitching change. In the immortal words of Lou Piniella, I have seen enough.
That’s a big ol’ hang with ’em.
How we lookin’?
And that’s a base hit.
Votto smokes a ball to the gap in left! Hamilton’s gonna score and ...
This one belongs to the Reds!
Back with more in a moment.
The Reds welcome in the Astronomicals tomorrow night, for the first of three. Until then, this is Marty Brennaman saying ...
So long, everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment