Monday, September 30, 2019

I don't care anymore

My interest in NFL football has been waning the last few years. But this year, my interest sits at almost zero. I have watched virtually no football this season and I really don't plan to. I bring this up today because the Bengals play the Steelers on Monday night football tonight. In the past I would be pumped up and ready to watch the game. Ready to have the Steelers break my heart all over again. Tonight will be different. I won't be tuning in and watching. I'd rather do almost anything else.

The reasons for this shift in interest are many. It's not a simple explanation. I think it all started when the Bengals blew the playoff game against the Steelers and I saw some players acting like they weren't even bothered. I figured, hey, if they don't care, why should I? Then the whole kneeling down for the national anthem controversy happened. That REALLY soured me on football. I realize it was a just a few players and you can't punish the masses for the action of a few, but that just didn't sit well with me. Finally you have this whole Antonio Brown fiasco. I realize he is just one knucklehead, but it's indicative of a larger problem. Multi-millionaires acting like spoiled little children when they feel disrespected or if they don't get their way. The problem is pervasive and I truly can't watch it anymore. The game I grew up loving no longer exists. The spoiled brat Primadonnas and the penalty flags flying on seemingly every play have made the NFL unwatchable for me.

Don't get me wrong. I will still check scores and standings. I just refuse to invest any time or emotional energy into something that no longer holds any redeeming value for me. I guess I'm getting older and realize how very little time I have on this earth. I just can't waste time watching NFL football any longer. Life is too short and I have better things to do.

See ya, NFL. I'm out!

No comments:

Post a Comment