Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Say it ain't so!

Please say it ain't so. Not my beloved Cincinnati Reds! Four members of the Reds ball club knelt during the National Anthem yesterday. This saddens me beyond belief. When some of the Bengals did it, I had no problem saying goodbye to the NFL and the Bengals. But the Reds are going to be tougher to swear off. I have loved the Reds since before I can remember. I love baseball and it will break my heart to give it up. However, with the greedy labor strife the last few months, and now the blatant disrespect to our flag and country, I may have to say goodbye to baseball, too.

Listen folks, I'm not saying these guys don't have the right to protest. They absolutely, 100% have the right to protest. It's their right as Americans. I'm saying there are a hundred other ways to protest perceived racial inequality rather than kneeling during the anthem. You guys are making millions upon millions of dollars because you live in the free nation the flag and anthem represent. Try making that kind of dough in Iran or North Korea (or any number of other countries). You can't, because the opportunity does not exist. The opportunity exists here... in the United States of America. Stand up and give the flag, the anthem, and our nation the respect they deserve. Wanna protest? Picket outside the ballpark on your own time. I guarantee, as a baseball star (I'm looking at you, Joey Votto!) you'll get media coverage out the wazoo! Wanna protest? Go on a hunger strike. Go on TV and make a speech. Take out an ad in the paper. Participate in a sit-in. Take part in a peaceful march. Throw a charity benefit for those folks you feel are mistreated and oppressed. Nobody is stopping you! But when you are on the field, wearing the Reds uniform, you are on the clock. It's your job. You're at work. You don't participate in protests at work... especially protests that disrespect our flag, national anthem, and nation. Wake up and get a clue guys! You have the attention of the world. Use it appropriately or get off the field. Remember, when baseball players took off their caps and placed them over their hearts during the anthem? I sure do remember. You think those guys weren't aware of racism and a million other social and cultural problems? They were acutely aware, but they had enough class and respect to keep it off the field. I suggest you do the same. Stand up or go away!

1 comment: