Friday, November 4, 2011

And you wonder why?

Here's another post about why my job of teaching is so difficult. This is not a whine or a rant. It's really just a sad example of what I face on a daily basis.

This morning I arrived at school at 7:05. As I approached the door, I saw two very small girls standing close by. I didn't immediately see them because it is very dark this time of morning. I greeted them with a smile and made a big joke of them being SO EARLY for school. I also asked what grade they were in. They were not shy about telling me they were in kindergarten and 1st grade. I was appalled! What parent in their right mind drops off a 5 and 6 year old 90 minutes early to stand in the cold and dark? Keep in mind the students' school day begins at 8:30... and this is 7:05. Can you imagine doing this with your own kids? These two girls are just babies. We're not supposed to let kids into the building until 8:10. But I couldn't in good conscience leave these two innocent children to stand in the dark and shiver for an hour... I allowed them to come inside and sit in the warmth of the lobby. What kind of home life do you think these girls have? I know it's jumping to conclusions, but I'd make an educated guess and say not very good.

Still think teaching is easy? It's more than pencils and books. We're feeding these children. In many cases giving them free dental and medical care, psychological services and counseling. Every day I act as a teacher, disciplinarian, nurse, mediator, father figure, friend, psychologist, detective, care giver, coach, advocate etc. The list really does go on and on. I don't believe this is what schools are supposed to be. Teachers are not supposed to be surrogate parents, but this is exactly what's happening. Many parents refuse to grow up and act as the parent they should be. They are content to remain like adolescents and let the school raise their kids. The problem is... my hands are tied as far as what I can do as this surrogate parent. It's a lot like trying to fight an inferno with a squirt gun.

1 comment:

  1. I saw them as well that morning...the one looked even YOUNGER than kindergarten....truly breaks your heart :(

    ReplyDelete