Thursday, November 17, 2011

Grammar Rant!

Call me a snob if you wish, but the complete slaughtering of the english language by the general public is enough to drive me batty. This is not about the cultural stuff (using ax for ask, saying you is nice instead of you are nice). No, that's a topic I want to leave alone. I'm talking about your every day Joe American having no earthly idea how to use our language.

Hey youse guys, I have an ideal. Youse guys? No, you have an idea, not an ideal.

The use of seen/saw. The word seen must be preceded by have, has or had. I saw you eat my cookies. I have seen you eat my cookies. The same for gone and went. Gone must be preceded by have, has or had. I have gone to Florida three times. You can't say I have went to Florida three times.

The word is versus. On Sunday, the best game will be the Bengals versus the Ravens. It's NOT the Bengals verse the Ravens.

I/Me. Abby and I went to a movie. Tami wanted to go to the movie with Abby and me.

Don't even get me started on there, their and they're. Or your and you're. Or to, too and two.

How about passed and past. I passed a slow moving car. I would like to forget some things from my past.

Loose/Lose. I dropped a few pounds and my pants are loose. I hope the Bengals don't lose on Sunday.

Please say "DEAL" not dill. A candy bar for a quarter? That's a good deal! It's not a good dill.

Please say GlenDALE. I have a friend from Glendale. I do not have a friend from Glendell.

There is no such word as irregardless. Just regardless.

Saying big, huge is redundant. I saw a big huge fish in the lake! Pick one.
Saying also, too is redundant. Again, just pick one.
Saying, "All y'all" is redundant. I'm going to the game with all y'all! No! I am going to the game with all of you.

Remember back when we were kids? Uh... what other way is there to remember? You can't remember FORWARD! Remember when we were kids?

It's toward... not towards! You are walking toward the pond. You are not walking towards the pond.

If you use the word neither, you must also use the word nor. Neither/Nor. Either/Or.

There are ten deer in my yard. No such thing as deers, my dears.

Hear/Here. Did you hear Michael can't be here? Hear contains the word "ear" indicating listening to sounds. "Here" is one letter short of "there" indicating location.

Please don't end a sentence with a preposition! Where's Michael at? No! Where's Michael?

Listen Folks. I'm not perfect and I slip into my casual register quite often. But when the chips are down, I can write and speak very well. Oh yeah, that reminds me... there is a definite difference between the use of good and well. The pie tasted really good. Tami cooks very well.

1 comment: