Sunday, November 20, 2011

Tami's Favorite Holiday

Thanksgiving week is upon us. Tami loves the autumn season and especially loves Thanksgiving. We should always count our blessings, but Thanksgiving is the holiday that brings those blessings to the forefront our minds.

For many, Thanksgiving is about eating turkey dinners, family gatherings and watching football on TV. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all those things and find nothing at all wrong with them. But I also want the holiday to be about what is most important... Thanking God for all he has provided and blessed my family with. We have everything we need and so much more. We want for nothing. We have good health. Michael's collapsed lung and subsequent surgery aside, we have no major health problems in the family. I have a decent paying job with benefits. I have the love of a wonderful wife, 3 terrific children, a Christian son-in-law who treats my daughter like a queen. I have a granddaughter who (God willing) will soon be arriving from Russia to start a new life in the United States. I have a church that teaches directly from the Bible and preaches the Gospel every week. I have a church family who loves my family unconditionally.

I ask you... what more could a man ask for? The answer is nothing. I have way more than I deserve. I haven't earned any of this. God has provided it through His mercy and grace. I have no cause to complain (even though I frequently do). I'm often stuck with too much week at the end of my paycheck. I often see what others have and find myself selfishly wishing I had the same. How completely and utterly greedy of me. How Dare I wish for more than I have? God showers me with riches and all I can do is wish I had more? I have enough. His blessings are sufficient.

I don't want this post to be cheesy or cliche'. But I guess being thankful on Thanksgiving is going be naturally cliche'. So be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment