Monday, June 15, 2015

A Pastor I'm Not

Due to a wedding yesterday in Michigan that involved a prominent family in our church, more than half the congregation was out of town. Those people out of town included all the church Elders (including the Pastor) and all the Deacons except me. This meant I was the highest ranking church leader in the whole building (scary thought!). Because of the severe shortage of church leaders yesterday, the responsibility of running the service fell to me (another scary thought). Put in simple terms, I did everything except preach the sermon yesterday. I was charged with opening the building and getting the facilities ready, greeting the congregation to open the service, making the announcements from the pulpit, leading the hymns, leading all prayers, introducing the guest Pastor and closing the service. I was only a little nervous. I wasn't nervous because I had to speak in front of people (Public speaking is really no big deal to me), but because I felt a heavy responsibility to lead the flock and not screw anything up. Everything went pretty well. I did forget to pray in one key place and went straight to the opening hymn. Afterward I simply announced I had made a "Rookie Mistake" and combined two prayers into one. The congregation didn't seem to mind. In the end I was glad to serve and help the church out of a tight spot, but I learned I am definitely not a Pastor.

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment