Thursday, January 5, 2017

Look after your husband!

If there was ever any doubt that the world has changed over the last 65 years, a person needs to look no further than an excerpt from a 1950 Home Economics text book. The title says, "Tips to look after your husband". Being a modern man of the 21st century, some of these are downright comical. I thought about sharing some of these with Tami and having her implement them in our home. However, I decided I'd rather avoid a frying pan to the head. Over the next few days I will be sharing what this antiquated textbook told 1950's high school girls about looking after their husbands. Keep in mind this is from a time when the man of the house worked and the woman traditionally stayed home as a housewife and childcare giver. Nowadays both parents work and these ideas don't work.

Have dinner ready-
Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal on time. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospects of a good meal are part of the warm welcome needed.
(I must admit that even though this may be a dying practice, Tami does an excellent job with this. She always has good dinners for our family. My bulging mid-section is the only evidence you need to see what a good cook my wife is).

Prepare yourself-
Take 15 minutes to rest so you will be refreshed when he arrives home from work. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair, and be fresh looking. He has just been with a lot of work weary people. Be a little happy, and a little more interesting. His boring day may need a lift.
(Ok. This one cracked me up! If I arrived home and Tami had make-up on, and had a ribbon in her hair, I would swear she had flipped. Also, remember the frying pan to the head I mentioned earlier? Well, if I told my wife to be a little more interesting, that frying pan would find my skull in a heartbeat!)

Clear away the clutter-
Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives. Gather up school books, toys, paper etc... Then run a dust cloth over the tables. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too!
(Ummmm... I don't even know what to say about this one. Taking care of the kids is a tough enough job. What kind of loon would complain about a dusty table when mom has been tussling with the kids all day?)

More ways to look after your husband later!

No comments:

Post a Comment