Thursday, January 12, 2017

Teaching in the 21st century

I don't teach math, and there is a really good reason for that. It is not my strength. I know how to do math, but my brain is just not wired for the analytical side of things. Take a look at the photo below. I wish it was a joke... I really do. I only post it because it is funny in a sad, sad way. There is a complete lack of basic skills and knowledge with today's students. There is such an emphasis on higher order thinking skills, that teaching the basics has been abandoned. I contend that a student cannot employ higher level thinking skills without a grasp of basic knowledge (multiplication facts, for example). You would be shocked at the number of 4th, 5th, and even 6th graders who could NOT immediately say that 7x6=42. I am not exaggerating, and I am not joking. You would also be shocked that these same students have extreme difficulty adding and having to carry a number from the next column, or subtracting when borrowing is required. If these basic skills are not in place, higher level thinking cannot occur. I don't think educators at the state and national boards of education understand this. There is a reason test scores are down nationally, and it has everything to do with students trying to do higher level math without the solid foundation of basic knowledge. For example, students have no idea how to do long division because they do not have the foundation skills of multiplication, addition, and subtraction in place. I know this seems like common sense, but it's entirely true. Please do not take this as some sort of rant. It's not. I am just reporting what I observe in the classroom on a daily basis. You be the judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment