Friday, April 14, 2017

Master or Disaster?

Today's the day! The day I undertake my first try at smoking a piece of meat in my new smoker. Will I be a master or will this first project be a disaster? I'm leaning more toward disaster, but I will know for sure in about 8 hours.

I have chosen a small pork shoulder for my first try. Otherwise known as a Boston Butt, these shoulders are best for pulled pork. Interesting fact: This cut of meat is not called a Boston Butt because it comes from the hind end of the pig. It actually comes from the area just above the front legs (shoulder). It's called a Boston Butt because these cuts of meat were stored and transported in wooden containers called butts in New England. Hence the name, Boston Butt.

Full disclosure here... I have never smoked a piece of meat in my life and I don't expect Pit Master quality meat my first time. There is going to be a learning curve. There are going to be some disasters (large and small) to contend with. I'm prepared to make rookie mistakes. I am harkened back to my early days on the traditional grill. I didn't grill the perfect steak the first time. I didn't grill my famous burgers to perfection the first time either. This is going to take some time and some patience. I have very little of both, but I must force myself to give this process some time.

The pork has been smoking for about half an hour and I can already smell it. My stomach is rumbling and I cannot wait to try my first bite. Stay tuned for the verdict.

Here is the smoker in all its glory. If you look closely above the top left of the smoker, you can see some hickory smoke billowing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment