Saturday, April 15, 2017

Not a disaster

The Boston Butt came out of the smoker after 13 hours of extremely slow cooking. I am not going to claim I have achieved smoking perfection, but I must admit the results were better than I expected for a first try. The photo below shows a beautiful pork shoulder with a nice bark. The bark is the dark brown crust on the outside of the meat. Bark is a highly desired result in the smoking world. I was not expecting such a nice bark on my first attempt, but I was certainly pleasantly surprised. It is important to note this pork shoulder IS NOT burnt. The bark is supposed to look that way. The taste test revealed the pork tasted as good as it looked. Tami raved over it and I did some crowing as well. This stuff is pure smoky heaven. I now have a second Boston Butt in the smoker and intend to let it smoke all night long. My next project will be a beef brisket next weekend.

Hotfire's Smokehouse is open for business!

No comments:

Post a Comment