Monday, September 1, 2014

September

September is here and brings with it the promise of autumn. As you know, autumn brings about an emotional letdown in me. I've never been able to explain it. The fall season has crisp air, beautiful foliage, harvest time and nights by the campfire sipping hot apple cider. All of that stuff makes no difference to me. I will never love fall.

Green Day sings a song called, "Wake me up when September ends". I have no idea what the song means, but for some reason I always think of it on September 1st. If I fell asleep on September 1st, I would not want to be awakened when September ends because then it would be October and October is even worse. I think the song should be called, "Wake me up when autumn and winter ends".

Here's a small snippet of the song:

Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last
wake me up when September ends

here comes the rain again
falling from the stars
drenched in my pain again
becoming who we are

as my memory rests
but never forgets what I lost
wake me up when September ends

Like I said, I have no idea what those lyrics mean. But it does somehow sing a song of sadness to me. A mournful song of the fleeting days of summer and a time when everything begins withering toward a slow death. Goodbye summer. Goodbye long days of leisure. Hello short days of weak sunlight. Hello long cold nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment