Monday, March 16, 2015

A serious post

I don't make many serious posts on this blog. It's light-hearted and fun most of the time. However, sometimes terrible things occur that demand a mention in this space. A murder occurred in St. Bernard over the weekend. This is particularly distressing because this is the small town where I grew up and the place where I teach. In fact, the homicide happened only 3 blocks from the front door of my school. I don't fear for my own safety, but it is certainly an indication of what the area is like where I teach. This is definitely NOT the same town in which I grew up. The area has been in a constant state of decline and this crime is an indicator of that.

Here's the news story. I'm sure it's a developing story and I will report more as I know it.

The suspicious death of a St. Bernard man has been officially ruled a homicide. Carl Engel, 73, was found dead in the home on Greenlee Avenue Sunday afternoon. A concerned neighbor called police to say he couldn't get in touch with Engel and a basement window was broken. St. Bernard Police Lt. Bill Ungruhe said that investigators believe the death occurred overnight. Investigators haven't said how they think he might have died.

No comments:

Post a Comment