Saturday, March 14, 2015

Into the Woods

Last night was opening night for Abby's senior musical. East Central High School is performing a delightful version of "Into the Woods". It's a really good show and it involves a lot of kids. I have to say how pleasantly surprised I was at the talent level of the kids and how entertaining the performance really was. Most of the leads sang well and on pitch (unusual for high school kids). The scenery was the best I've ever seen for a high school and the high school orchestra was surprisingly adequate. Honestly, I expected less, but I was wrong and for once I didn't find myself glancing at my watch every few minutes.

Abby's role of Little Red Riding Hood is one of four or five lead roles. I knew the part was big, but it turned out to be even bigger than I expected. And let me tell you, her performance was amazing and unbelievable. I am not just saying that because I'm a proud dad (which I am), but because I know a little something about high school theater. I was an actor in high school plays myself and Abby's portrayal of Little Red blew out of the water anything I ever did (and I had lead roles myself). I'm kind of a tough nut to crack when it comes to amateur theater and I came away totally impressed. Abby has worked hard and has really developed into quite the actress. She has come a long way in four years and her dedication and effort has paid off in this culminating role of her high school acting career. All I can say is Bravo, Abby! Bravo! I am looking forward to the remaining two performances and will be sad for her when it's all over. I know the feeling of finality when that last curtain drops and you realize you will never perform on a high school stage again. Tomorrow will be a bittersweet day for all of us.

Thanks for making your Daddy proud, Little Red.

No comments:

Post a Comment