Monday, November 28, 2016

Homework

As a teacher, I have never been a big proponent of homework. The research showing the effectiveness of homework (or not) is all over the map. Some educators swear by it. They are convinced that learning is not complete unless some sort of homework or practice is done at home. Other educators are dead set against it. They are certain that all instruction and subsequent learning must be done in the classroom. I fall somewhere in between, leaning toward the side of assigning much less homework. The policy in my classroom is fairly simple. I teach and give assignments. More than enough time is given to complete those assignments provided the students do not waste their time. Any classroom assignment not completed rolls over into homework. In simple terms, the students control how much homework they have (or not). Work hard in school, and you won’t have a lot of homework to complete on your own time. This approach has seemed to work pretty well over the last 27 years.

I do not know the lady responsible for the message below, but she seems to have a really good handle on the issue of homework. I know as a parent I always disliked it when my own kids had a lot of homework. I am not opposed to a reasonable amount of homework, but when six different teachers give “some “ homework, cumulatively that turns into a lot of homework. As far as my own students go… I would love to send this type of message home with them, but my instinct tells me they would spend their extra time playing video games or watching TV. I don’t know where Ms. Young (the author of the message below) teaches, but if it’s in an area where this would work, then I say more power to her. I’m not so sure this approach would be best for my borderline inner-city school.

No comments:

Post a Comment