Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Lowlights

One of my fondest memories as a child was reading Highlights Magazine. I loved all the fictional and non-fiction reading selections. I adored the picture find (most adults would admit they enjoyed it as well). I looked forward to Goofus and Gallant every month and totally enjoyed the musings of the wooden family known as the Timber Toes. Remember them?

This magazine has been entertaining children and adults for generations. It was the absolute BEST!

As I reminisce with great fondness today, my feeling are dampened by extreme sadness. As of today, Highlights Magazine has succumbed to the pressures of our ridiculously politically correct world. The story (as I heard it on the radio this morning), goes like this: A little girl wrote a letter to the magazine asking why there were no gay or lesbian couples in Highlights. The magazine editors did not respond for a long time because they admitted they were scared of putting that type of content in their family-friendly magazine. Finally after repeated questioning, Highlights Magazine said they thought it was best that children learned about this topic from their own parents rather than a children's magazine (which sounds extremely sensible). This did not satisfy the left wing liberals, and the LGBT community placed serious pressure on the magazine. Sadly, Highlights Magazine acquiesced to the pressure and have reluctantly agreed to depict gay and lesbian couples in their magazine. I know the world is a changing place, but even Highlights Magazine is not immune. It just makes me sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment