Friday, March 17, 2017

Stayin' Home

Top o' the morning' to ya! Happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone who gets to be Irish... if only for a day.

I have never been one to "celebrate" St. Patrick's Day and I certainly don't intend to start this year. In fact, this year more than ever I feel the need to stay home. This year St. Patrick's Day falls on a Friday. This so-called holiday is nothing more than a green beer drunk-fest for most. So having it on a Friday (as opposed to a Tuesday), lends itself to heavier drinking. Couple this with one of the biggest sports days of the year (the opening Friday of the NCAA basketball tournament), and you have a recipe for a lot of wild and reckless behavior tonight. Many people will start drinking early in the day and will continue late into the night. I am going to err on the side of caution and stay home tonight. I will not be imbibing anything green to celebrate this faux holiday. In fact, after having conferences last night and then turning right around and coming back to school early this morning, I will likely be asleep in my recliner by 9:00. I know, know... What a party poopin' fuddy-duddy! I don't mind that label. I teach 9 and 10 year olds all week. They drain every bit of energy I have. I am comfortable with letting the young people (and the old people who like to act like they never grew up) do all the partying. I will relax tonight with a cup of decaf (or maybe I'll go crazy and make it an Irish coffee), and watch NKU play Kentucky from the comfort of my own living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment