Friday, March 3, 2017

Two left hands

People who can't dance are said to have two left feet. What do you say about people who aren't good at fixing things? Do they have two left hands? Whatever you call it, that's how you'd describe me. I firmly believe a circus monkey could fix things better than I could.

Tami recently embarked on our partial kitchen remodel part 2. Last spring Tami painted our countertops to look like granite. They looked terrific for 6-8 months, but then started chipping and peeling. The problem became so severe that repainting became necessary. Today Tami will complete countertop paint job #2. This time the effect will look like marble. The almost-finished product looked really cool when I saw it last night. Tami has a real talent for this type of work. She is a true ar-teest!

Now on to my part in this project. It was my job to remove the old kitchen sink and garbage disposal. I did this with minimal complications. For some reason I am really good at removing things or taking them apart. Installing and repairing things is where I am tremendously challenged. Last night I began the task of attaching the new faucet to the new sink, and installing the new garbage disposal under the new sink (the new sink was in the middle of the living room floor). This was done so I could lower the whole "shebang" into the hole in the counter and be ready to connect the drains. For a normal person this whole process should have taken about an hour. It took me more than 4 hours, and that was with some help from Tami. I will openly admit I never could have completed this job without her. Some guys would never admit needing the help of their wives for such things, but I have no issue confessing it.

I am trying to be more handy with tools, but for some reason it just doesn't come naturally to me. I also don't have the right tools often needed for certain jobs and this sometimes puts me at a disadvantage and causes me to improvise. This lack of skills and knowledge coupled with sometimes not having the right tools causes what some guys might call a simple job, to be a difficult task for me. Lord knows I'm trying! Does anybody have a circus monkey I could borrow for a few days? I am installing the new sink tonight. It will be a miracle if I don't end up with a flooded kitchen or a hole in the floor. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment