Friday, April 3, 2015

Thanks for listening

There are many things that happen to a person when s/he grows up. One of those is listening to talk radio instead of music in the car. I'm not really sure when this happened for me, but I know it was a long, long time ago.

At some point in their lives, everybody in Cincinnati has heard Jim Scott on WLW in the morning. It would be nearly impossible to not have heard his voice. Jim Scott retired today and signed off for the final time with his signature line, "Thanks for listening". Cincinnati lost a radio icon. An institution. A fixture on morning radio in Cincinnati for 47 years. Basically I've been listening to Jim Scott my entire life. There was just something about starting my day with Jim. My morning commute was never complete without him. I always counted on Jim for the traffic report, the weather forecast, the 7:00 time check, the daily chat with military analyst Colonel Dean Smittle, the daily aviation report from Jay Ratliffe (even though I never fly anywhere) and much, much more. Now that Jim has retired, my mornings will never be the same. As usual, the city will get used to someone else on their morning commute, but it will take a while. We will miss you, Jim Scott. The city of Cincinnati thanks you and we wish you the very best in your retirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment