Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Titanic Day

You all know of my fascination with shipwrecks. Most of my interest lies in Great Lakes shipwrecks, but I am fascinated by the grandaddy of them all... RMS Titanic.

103 years ago today the RMS Titanic struck an iceberg in the North Atlantic Ocean and sank. More than 1,500 people perished that night. Over a century later this story still captivates many maritime enthusiasts. There is so much to this story and I could type pages and pages that would bore you to tears. I will spare you the details.

One interesting note... Did you know the wreck of the Titanic was discovered on the same day Pete Rose broke Ty Cobb's all-time hits record? September 11, 1985.

Another interesting note... If you do some checking, the date of the sinking is listed as April 15, 1912. Why the discrepancy in dates? Because the ship struck the iceberg about 10:00 PM the night of the 14th, but didn't actually sink until 2:00 AM on the 15th. There you have it!

Once again, you can file this post under "Things that interest only me".

No comments:

Post a Comment