Monday, April 4, 2016

It's a holiday!

Today is a holiday, and yet I have to work. There's something wrong with this picture. Well, okay, it's not exactly an officially recognized holiday, but it should be. Today is Opening Day for my beloved Cincinnati Reds. Today is the day when winter comes to an end, spring arrives, and baseball makes its glorious reappearing for another season. Today is the day hope springs eternal. Today the Reds have just as much chance of winning the World Series as anybody else. This will not be the case in few weeks, but hey, a guy can dream, right? Welcome back, baseball! I sure have missed you!

And about that holiday thing? For all intents and purposes the city shuts down for Opening Day. The festivities start early in the morning. There is the Findlay Market Opening Day Parade. There is a sea of red downtown as fans swarm to the area in and around Great American Ballpark. I am certain productivity is drastically down at every company and business around the tri-state today. Today is the one day where many students play hooky and teachers are not only okay with it, but they salivate with jealousy as some of their students enjoy the day while they are stuck indoors working (*SIGH*). Yes, I am speaking form personal experience. I have students who informed me last week they would not be in school today. They excitedly told me they were going to the parade and the game (and I smiled, congratulated them and silently died a little inside). Oh to be 9 years old and carefree again! When my only worry was how many hot dogs I would get or what flavor Sno-cone to choose.

Happy Opening Day everybody! Now if you'll excuse me, work is about to begin and I have a job to do. Go Reds!

No comments:

Post a Comment