Sunday, April 24, 2016

Like losing a friend

I do not put much stock in celebrities. I could not care less about pop culture icons, famous actors, famous singers or famous athletes. In fact, it doesn't thrill me one bit to meet people like this. They put their pants on one leg at a time just like I do. They will also ultimately meet their maker one day just as I will. This is why the recent passing of Prince didn't have much of an affect on me. Oh sure, I like a few of his songs and I think he was a tremendous musical talent. But I just don't find myself distraught because somebody like Prince passed away. As always though, there are exceptions. One of my exceptions passed away Saturday morning. Channel 12 weatherman and local television personality, Tim Hedrick died after a long battle with what is being reported as an elusive disease. Tim came to Cincinnati in 1988 and built his image as "Doppler Tim" and was know for his "Grillin' with Tim" events each week during the warm months. I have spent my entire adult life getting my weather forecasts from Tim Hedrick. He was partially responsible for my fascination with the weather and everything weather related. I never met Tim Hedrick and I never made it my goal to do so. He seemed like a wonderful man and by all accounts he was the same guy both on and off camera. I'm not sure why his passing saddened me so much. Maybe it's because he was "in my living room" 5 or 6 nights a week for the last 28 years. Maybe it's because he was one of those rare and genuine "nice guys". It doesn't really matter why. I just know it feels like I lost a friend and I am sure I am among the many thousands of people in the Cincinnati area who feel the same way. Goodbye, Tim. You will be greatly missed. My weather forecasts will never be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment