Monday, August 8, 2016

Go for the gold!

Many times on this blog I have mentioned that some of my former students are convicted felons or jailbirds. I've seen their faces on the local news and even on the nationally televised show, "Cops". However, with the beginning of the Olympics in Rio this week, I was also reminded that one of my former students is an Olympic gold medalist. That's right folks. Yours truly once taught an Olympic gold medal winner. Her name is Erin Phenix. I taught her in 5th grade VERY early in my career. After leaving my school, Erin attended Ursuline Academy and the University of Texas where she was a competitive swimmer. Erin won a gold medal as a member of the 4X100 freestyle relay team at the 2000 games in Sydney, Australia. So there you have it. How many teachers can claim they once taught an Olympic gold medalist?

Here's Erin. She is second from the right.
And just for good measure... I was amused when I heard the first gold medal of the 2016 games went to a 19 year old girl from Virginia. What was the event? Shooting of course! God Bless America!

No comments:

Post a Comment