Monday, February 20, 2017

Get your degree!

I often ask my students what they want to be when they grow up. The two most common responses are "Youtuber", and professional athlete. Both of these are extreme long shots. In case you don't know, a Youtuber is a person who posts videos on Youtube and gets paid if they happen to go viral. And yes, that is just as unlikely as you think it sounds. I'm also amazed at the number of kids who truly believe they will become professional athletes. Look folks, I don't begrudge a kid's right to dream. We all did it. I wanted to play professional baseball, but I knew I had neither the skills nor the physical attributes needed to realize that dream. I knew deep down I would never play professional baseball. But my students don't seem to have the same grasp on reality. I often ask these same students follow up questions like, "What do you want to be if you don't make it to the NFL or the NBA?" There's usually no backup plan. I can't laugh too hard though. These kids are only nine years old. I had no idea what I wanted to be when I grew up when I was nine either. I only hope if any of these kids really do hit it big in the pros, they remember who their 4th grade teacher was.

Check out this sign encouraging kids to stay in school and get a degree. This is really good advice and shows the odds of becoming a professional football player. It's an extremely slim chance to say the least. The real reason I am posting a photo of this sign is because of a glaring typo. The person who made this sign encouraging kids to stay in school should probably practice what he/she preaches and go back to English class. Did you find the mistake? I will post the answer below the photo. Don't peek if you want to find it yourself.
If "You're" lucky enough, not "your". This blows me away. Simple basic English. Consider a supposedly educated person composed the text for this sign, and sent it a professional sign company. Are you telling me somebody along the way didn't catch this error? The writer of the text, the sign company, the institution that purchased the sign... anybody? Apparently not. ***SIGH***

No comments:

Post a Comment