Thursday, February 2, 2017

Move Over!

I like posts like this one because it is true to life. I like talking about things that we can all relate to. Who among us hasn't been cruising through the grocery store only to have our path blocked by some clueless shopper? This is a matter of simple consideration for others or a lack of thought where others are concerned. The last thing I ever want to do is get in someone else's way or inconvenience them. It doesn't take much thought to pull your grocery cart to the side and not block the entire aisle. If everybody had just a little bit of consideration for others, things like trips to the grocery store wouldn't be nearly as stressful. This principle would be helpful in many areas. For example, when driving in traffic, things would go so much more smoothly if people were just a little more thoughtful and considerate of others. But the fact is many people are selfish. They are not interested in thinking of others. This "me first" attitude is the source of a lot of what is wrong in our society. If people would wake up to this, the world would be a much happier place.

Not to toot my own horn, but here is an example of what I'm talking about. I was standing in the checkout line at Kroger. I was in the express lane with 10-15 items. I was below the minimum, but awfully close to the maximum number of items allowed. It was my turn to checkout when a lady got in line behind me with one item. I told the cashier to not scan my items yet and to ring up the lady with one item first. The lady with one item AND the cashier were both surprised. I explained that is was no big deal for me to wait 60 seconds to checkout, and it got the lady with one item out the door quicker. Everybody gained something that day. It was a small gesture, and one that I wouldn't even mention except that it was pertinent to this discussion. It is only a single instance where thinking of others before yourself can make everybody happier. It would have been just as easy to go ahead and checkout while the lady with one item had to wait. It WAS my turn after all. But why be selfish? Why not brighten somebody else's day? Why not consider others? It really took very little effort, and others could benefit by doing the same. As my grandma Meyer used to say, "It ain't heavy if we all lift!"
***NOTE***
I don't think people who leave their carts in the middle of the aisle are "bad" people. Just oblivious, thoughtless, or inconsiderate.

No comments:

Post a Comment