Monday, February 13, 2017

Good Phrases

There are lots of phrases that bring good feelings for me.

Dinner is ready!
The grandchildren are coming to visit today!
This is the last day of school!
Too much snow... no school today!
Meeting adjourned!
Free beer!
88 degrees and sunny!
Bon voyage, your cruise leaves today!
Here's one from the past... Daddy's home!

Well, you get the idea.

Today I get to hear another one of my favorite phrases...

"Pitchers and catchers report!"

That's right folks. Reds spring training starts today. This means winter is more than half over and spring is just around the corner. I know it's only mid-February, but just thinking about spring gets my motor running. No more worrying about driving in the snow, no more shivering, no more bulky winter clothing.

Getting back to the Reds. I have no illusions about the home team this year. They are in the process of rebuilding and they will not win many games. That really doesn't matter to me. I love the baseball. I love the Reds. I love the promise of spring. I love hearing Marty Brennaman's voice on the radio while enjoying a couple of cold ones. I love what baseball represents... a laid back, All-American pastime.

Pitchers and catchers report today. Position players on Wednesday. Let's open this popsicle stand!

No comments:

Post a Comment