Tuesday, February 20, 2018

A brief reprieve

Can you believe this weather? Today is February 20th and the temperature is supposed to hit 77 or 78 degrees. That’s more than twenty degrees above normal. Not only do we have mild, warm air, but the sun is shining too. In the midst of one of the dreariest, gloomiest winters I can remember, the sun is a sight for sore eyes today. I didn’t say this was the snowiest, or coldest winter I can remember. We’ve definitely had much worse. I just mean this winter has been so gray, cloudy, foggy, rainy, misty, and downright ugly and depressing. Tami and I have been lamenting this terrible winter lately. We have cabin fever and we have just been aching to get outside. Today is that day. When I get home from work I am going to grill some burgers and crack open a cold one as I watch them sizzle on the grill top. For one day we will get to act like it’s spring. But alas, this teaser of a spring-like day is the only one we get like this. The rain returns tomorrow and is expected to last through the weekend. Ugh!

It’s amazing how the weather can dictate our mood and general outlook on life. There is a condition called SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). It simply means we get depressed and down when the weather is cold, snowy, gloomy, and dreary. Today we have been granted a temporary reprieve from SAD. I am in a wonderful mood and I am so upbeat as I look at the sun shining through my window. I know old man winter has yet to breathe his last, and there will be more freezing temperatures on the way. But for now, I will take 77 and sunny in late February. What a blessing and hope and promise of the coming spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment